OLD CRYPTS AND CEMETERY MARKERS

In my last post, I promised to show you a few old crypts and cemetery markers from one of my trips to the East Coast. I spent several hours walking through old cemeteries gathering research for my writing projects.

One of my favorite cemeteries was Christ Church Burial Ground in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Christ Church cemetery spans two acres and contains the remains of many Colonial and Revolution-era people  (over 1,400 of them) including Benjamin Franklin and a few signers of the Declaration of Independence.

While the city bustled around this peaceful two-acre patch, I toured the church and then stood outside the historical building. A sense of quiet calm washed over me, easing the tension from my long journey from Kalispell, Montana. As I peered into the graveyard I could feel the spirits of those who rest beneath its peaty soil rise to greet me. The problem was--we had to do our greeting through a fence because the cemetery was undergoing maintenance.




     Christ's Church Cemetery




The grave of Francis Hopkinson-One of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.













The Liberty Bell located on Market Street. It was one of the first things I saw when I came to Philly. It is brightly lit at night.








 My next stop was the Betsy Ross House. Betsy (Elizabeth Griscom Claypoole) is buried in a private cemetery behind the house with her husband John Claypoole.













Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment