QUICK TIPS ON STAYING ORGANIZED WHILE WRITING

One of the most important tools a writer can have is a productive workspace. Your space doesn't have to be fancy or formal, it just needs to work for you.

Your writing space could be anywhere--even in your garage. I keep a mini traveling office in my car. When my children were small, I would write while I was parked outside their school waiting to pick them up at the end of the day. In a short time, I was able to sneak in a lot of valuable writing time. 

Wherever you decide to designate as your writing space, make sure it's comfortable and convenient. Keep organized by cleaning your space daily. I like to wipe down my keyboards at the end of the day and dust the top of my desk with a fresh hint of lemon. Inside my desk, I find it helpful to have similar items grouped together. For example, my pens are in one section, sticky notes in another and so on. Everything has a place grouped into a specific category.

I have a Jane Austen calendar I keep on my desk for appointments. On a nearby wall, I have my spreadsheets, and computer print-offs pinned to a corkboard.  Mondays, I review tasks, record important dates, and set writing goals for the week. I use colorful folders, highlighters, and sticky notes. I try to keep my desk free of any clutter and toss unnecessary items clogging up my space. A tidy office is a productive office. For me, the more clutter I have the more reduced my focus is.

I also recommend having great tools. A thermos or USB cup warmer is helpful to keep tea or coffee warm. Digital highlighters are helpful as well as Smartpens. Keep everything charged by having a charging station nearby. Music is very helpful to some.  YouTube is a great resource with many choices so you never get tired of the same playlist.  

I hope you find these tips helpful. Happy writing everyone.  



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment